Thursday, January 17, 2008

Title explanation

So, what's with the 'Crazy Non-Traditional Conservative Family Blackard?' you might be thinking. Well, with all the hype in the upcoming election, I thought if I was to label our family, what would we be called by the media? Not that the media has any reason what-so-ever to be interested in my blog, but I thought it'd be fun. So, the explanation is:

Crazy: In today's society, people who go against what is considered 'the American dream'-you know, house, good paying stable job, good retirement, 2 kids, and loyal trusty dog- are looked at with eyes of awe through sunglasses of stupidity. Though deep down, most wish they could break free from the societal constraints of normalcy, they bury their dreams in running the rat race and call anyone who steps off the track impractical, erratic, crazy. If you are a reader of my blog, you know that our track is far from normal. With enthusiasm and no hesitation, we jumped out of the rat race and into the life unknown. To top that off, we have a very strong faith in Christ our Savior. He is what we base our whole life on. He leads our every step. Because we felt Him calling us, we sold everything to follow. He lead us to Alaska and back. Now we hear Him telling us to go to the Northwest. Without ever being there or knowing anyone, we are packing up again and going to Oregon. Because of our faith and prayers and allowing Him to guide us in what we do, we don't have to worry about if we are doing the right thing. Even if we go off track or misinterpret, He'll provide because of our faithfulness (just an example-there is a company in Portland we were told about last night who help Christian ministries, i.e. our lodge for ministers. Now, could there be a reason why we were called to that area? I think so!) Now, in our secular and sometimes Christian world, people are very uncomfortable with those of us who follow the Bible in every way and truly live a Christian lifestyle. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're perfect by any means. I'm just saying we're crazy!

Non-Traditional: Now a lot of what I said in the previous paragraph automatically puts us in the non-traditional category of life. However, we do have a few more things that throw us that way (but in reality make us non-trad by today's standard but traditional by past standards which is confusing in itself). We have a strong desire to homeschool our children. We don't want our children to be taught opposite of our beliefs and values. We want our children to truly learn and not just be taught to pass the standards. We don't believe in going to the doctor for every little thing. Tucker only gets the vaccinations we feel are important, not blindly say 'Yes stick my son and give him something he doesn't need at this time." We rarely take medicine and will first try homeopathic remedies. Now I'm not saying we're granolas or anything, we just don't do something just because everyone else is doing it.

Conservative: There's a lot of conservative and liberal banter being thrown around lately. So with no apologies whatsoever, I formally declare that we are conservative, and strong one's at that. We believe in upholding family values. We believe that less government means stronger nation. We believe that legal immigrants are welcome, but come in the tradition of immigrants of the past. Those that came because of the desire to become Americans and live and raise their families as Americans. Melting into the melting pot, not sticking to the sides and bottom and expecting others to accommodate. We believe that a person or business should take financial responsibility for their financial stupidity. It is not the government's, and by extension the people's, problem to bale people out of their mistakes. I would never expect a neighbor or a stranger to bear the weight of my decisions. We are not entitled anything, but must and should earn it. Only then can we be proud of who we are as a person and a nation.

Whew...who would've known I would have so much to say. First you don't hear from me in months then I go off on a monologue of epic proportions! I promise to try and keep the political comments to a minimum--well, now that I think of it, I can't promise that. I'm a little opionated and have a tendency to not keep my mouth shut, which is why some of you love me so much! Until next time...God Bless and we love you!

1 comment:

E and K said...

Yes friend...that is one of the reasons I've always loved you : ) It is sometimes refreshing to really know where one stands. You have always been real and genuine...thank you for that! I'm loving having you back at the blog.